Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tuesday July 25, 2006

Stan Ruecker

Stan talked about Rich Prospect Browsing and designing an interface or interfaces for different groups of data and finding a way of creating an easy retrieval methods. Google is a text based search engine and it will be nice to see the changes in a few years. What is going to become the norm in searching? I have questioned how we can retrieve information as easy as possible and how we can get a really good representation of everything available. Picture based search engines seem like the wave of the future, and I will keep my eyes open to new things that emerge.
Points to remember for future reference
• What do we do with the material that is out there already?
• How do we retrieve specifically what we are looking for?
• How can we create multi-functuality?
• What information do we really want out there?
These are questions that I will be keeping in mind as search technology’s progress.

Dr. Thomas Keenan

The key thing that came out of the presentation by Dr. Keenan for me was that information that is put on the web (like this blog) is there forever. Even if the site is down or removed, someone may have an archive of it. We need to teach our kids and talk to our students about security and how something that you did when you were 16 may come back to haunt you when you are 40. The internet, no not just the internet but technology, encourages change but we can not predict what some of the changes are going to be. Some will be good but we also have to accept the bad as well. If I chose to buy online, I need to be prepared to have information about me sent out on the internet. I believe that education is the key to security, but I worry that the young kids who think of the internet as something that is “just there” maybe they will be more lax with their information. Kids want to tell the truth. Very interesting discussion and I was given a lot of ideas on security and what is out there in the way of controversial sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home